Another favourite food of mine when I was in Vietnam; starting my meal off with a plate of mini rice paper rolls. Sometimes I was served a peanut dipping sauce but other times I got the classic spicy, sweet, fish sauce (vegan of course) and this is what I wanted to recreate with mine!
Let me know if you try it out - as I think I got the sauce pretty damn good (& the fillings are the best combination in my opinion)
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- fresh lettuce/spinach
- herbs; coriander, mint, thai basil (as desired)
- firm tofu
- vermicelli rice noodles
- 10 small rice paper wrappers
- 2tbsp cold filtered water
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 2tsp vegan fish sauce
- 2tsp agave syrup
- 1 fresh thai chilli, sliced
1. Fry off tofu in some oil on a high heat, meanwhile slicing your carrot and cucumber.
2. Pour warm water into a shallow bowl to coat kitchen roll (this will be for dampening and rolling the rice paper rolls.
3. Place a rice paper wrapper onto the damp kitchen roll until soft, then add your fillings. Wrap my folding over one long edge - folding over the sides and then rolling. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
4. Make the sauce by whisking together the ingredients before adding the chilli.
5. Serve immediately or keep chilled in the fridge for a few hours before eating.