In preparation for International American Sweet Potato Week next month, I have been incorporating more sweet potato recipes into my lunches! From the 1st-11th April it will be time to get cooking with your sweet potatoes to celebrate, so why not start gathering some inspiration now! These sweet potato cakes are delicious, easy to make and great for meal-prepping your lunches for the week - so double up the recipe to store them in the fridge!
Ingredients: (makes 10-12 cakes; 2-3 servings)
- 500g cooked sweet potato
- 60g chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 1-2 spring onions, chopped
- 1tsp garlic paste
- 1tsp cumin
- 1-2tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- breadcrumbs, to coat
1. Simply mash your cooked sweet potato until smooth and stir in the remaining ingredients (minus the breadcrumbs).
2. Once well combined, shape the sticky potato mixture into small patties and toss in breadcrumbs.
3. In a large frying pan, heat a tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add in the sweet potato cakes and cook for approximately 3-5 minutes each side until browned and crisp.
4. Once cooked, serve immediately with a light side salad and beetroot ketchup dip. Or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.