Have you ever tried congee before? This savoury rice, porridge style, dish is so rich of flavour and comfort vibes that is perfect for a midweek cosy meal!
I veganised this classic dish using vegetable stock & shiitake, topped with Abakus foods cheesy seaweed crisps to add a bit of umami crunch (& also pack in some vitamin B12!).
Ingredients: serves 2
2 cup water + 6 dried shiitake
2 cup vegetable stock (1 stock cube)
½ cup brown rice
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp grated ginger
Pinch of salt
125g shiitake mushrooms
Handful of kale, optional
½ carrot, sliced
½ cucumber, sliced
1 red chilli, optional
1 packet Abakus cheesy seaweed crisps
1. Bring 2 cups water to the boil and add in the dried shiitake – simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, grate and roughly chop the garlic and ginger, add to the water with a pinch of salt.
3. Add in the rice and vegetable stock, bring to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally, for one hour until most of the water is soaked up.
4. Meanwhile, slice your carrots, cucumber and chilli. Fry off your shiitake mushrooms and set aside. Once the congee is cooked, add in the kale to the pot and warm through for a further 2-3 minutes.
5. Separate into two bowls, top with the fried shiitake, cucumber, carrot and seaweed crisps. Enjoy warm.