The time has come for the fourth and final instalment of my Japanese series. The main dish is ready! This ramen recipe has been put together with my boyfriend, as the broth is definitely his domain. But here has it - how you can make your own authentic ramen at home.
To find the dried seaweed I recommend going to an Asian supermarket to get the correct stuff! Ingredients: serves 2 large bowls
- 30g dried kelp
- 30g dried mushrooms
- 1 litre water
soak for 30mins or moreStrained broth on low heat
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp vegan fish sauce
- 3 tbsp veg stock
- 1 tsp brown rice miso mixed in some water
- 1 small sliced spring onion
- 200g Japanese style tofu (i used Taifun ready prepared)
- 2 packets of ready cook udon noodles
- desired veggies (eg. mushrooms, beansprouts, bok choy)
- Pickled daikon and ginger
- 1 nori sheet, cut into quarters
1. Prepare the broth by first soaking the dried kelp and mushrooms for 20 minutes or more on a very low heat.
2. Strain the broth into a large saucepan and set to a low heat to gently warm. Add the rest of the broth ingredients one at a time and adjust to taste (salt, oil, fish sauce, stock, onion and miso).
3. Simmer for 15-20 minutes whilst preparing your veg and tofu. Add veggies and noodles to the broth and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Assemble bowls with noodles, broth, veg, and top with the prepared tofu, pickles and nori. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onion if desired.