Carrot cake has always been one of my favourites as a child. I don't know why, but there's something about the texture and flavour compliments of a perfect slice to frosting ratio. Normally a classic cream cheese icing is my preference, but I felt like changing it up with a salted caramel frosting this time around - I mean you can't go wrong with salted caramel and this is definitely no exception!
240ml Natures Charm evaporated coconut milk
1tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 large carrot
1tbsp ground hemp/flaxseed with 2tbsp water
2tsp baking powder
200g spelt flour
50g oats with cinnamon
20g coconut flour
60ml vegetable oil
100g Natures Charm coconut cream
50g Natures Charm coconut salted caramel sauce
1tbsp coconut oil, melted
1. Preheat oven to 180C. In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk with vinegar and set aside. Mix together the flaxseed with water also.
2. Meanwhile, grate the carrot and mix together all the dry ingredients for the cake in a large mixing bowl.
3. Beat in the milk, flax’egg’ and oil until combined. Fold in the sultanas.
4. Line and grease a loose bottom cake tin, pour in the batter and bake in the oven for around 50minutes.
5. Take cake out of the oven and allow to cool completely. Meanwhile whip together the frosting and leave in the fridge to set.
6. Once completely cooled, spread the chilled frosting on top of the cake and serve immediately. To keep, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.