Ah the classic french toast, or eggy bread if you are in my family. This glorious creation surely is one of a kind, but is a wonderful way to use up any stale bread. Traditionally made with eggs, this vegan alternative uses a powdered egg substitute (however feel free to use chia/flax egg but this will change the texture) and a pinch of kala namak (Black salt) for a slight eggy hint.
Don't be fooled, this recipe is super easy, and tastes incredible!
Ingredients: (serves 1 hungry person or 2 normal portions)
- 1 egg substitute made up (eg. 1 tsp egg replacer + 2 tsp water)
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 110 ml oat milk (other non-dairy milks will work but opt for ones with higher fat content for better results)
- 1/2 tsp kala namak (black salt) optional
- 2 extra thick slices of bread (or 4 small slices)
In a small jug whisk all ingredients until smooth and creamy. (Alternatively I found using a protein shaker works well!). Pour into a wide shallow dish.
Grease a large frying pan with dairy free butter and heat to a medium heat.
If using a large slice of bread like me, slice in half before adding one at a time to the batter. Leave to soak for 10 seconds each side before flipping. Transfer to the pan being careful not to drip the batter everywhere.
Cook each slice for approximately 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp on the edges.
Serve immediately with fresh berries and dairy free yoghurt (or simply some maple syrup).