Bananas and custard. Such a childhood classic hey? So why not recreate it with a twist and add it to your next muffin bake sesh! This recipe uses Natures Charm coconut custard (which is so so good) but you could potentially sub it for other dairy free custards but they might have a runnier consistency so be careful!
Ingredients: (makes 6)
- 120g gluten free flour
- 70g sugar
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 120g soy yoghurt
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2tbsp soy milk
- 100g coconut custard
- 20g icing sugar
- 75g flora dairy free spread
- 75g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line a muffin tray with cake cases.
2. In a jug, whisk together the milk and vinegar, set aside. Add in all the dry ingredients for the cake in a large mixing bowl.
3. Slowly stir in the milk, yoghurt and banana and beat until combined. Evenly distribute between cases.
4. Bake in the oven for 30mins, before allowing to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the filling by whisking custard and icing sugar together. Also, beat the vegan butter and sugar for the icing to form a thick buttercream.
6. Once completely cool, cut a small circle out of each muffin and fill with a spoonful of custard. Pipe the butter cream on top and enjoy!
*Best eaten on the same day, or store in the fridge for 1-2days.