To celebrate the week of the American Sweet Potato, I am bringing you a recipe you will want to save for those nights you want wholesome comforting meal.
If you have never tried African Peanut Stew before then be prepared to fall in love. This creamy broth is made with peanut butter and is rich, cozy and damn right delicious. Please enjoy this one on me!
Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
- 2tsp garlic paste
- 1 finger chilli
- 1 (250g) sweet potato, cubbed
- 100g broccoli
- 2-3tbsp tomato puree
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1tsp chilli sauce (sticky variety) *optional
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 60g creamy peanut butter
- Salt and pepper
1. In a medium pan fry off the garlic and chilli paste in a little oil. In a separate pan, cook the sweet potato cubes in water until tender.
2. Add the broccoli and puree to the garlic and chilli paste, fry with the cumin for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the stock, sweet potato and peanut butter. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a light simmer with the lid on. Let the stew cook for approximately 25-30minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
4. Add in the spinach (and chilli sauce if using), stir and cook for a further 2-3minutes uncovered.
5. Serve with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, with rice or bread as desired.